Thursday, March 14, 2013

Essay: Dance, it should be fun



I’ve just returned to dance classes this year after a long lay-off.

I’ve noticed that I feel better about what I’m doing now more-so than when I was younger.

The insecurities that used to plague me are gone. That’s not to say I’ve improved, I’m still months away from returning to even the middling level of ability that I used to have, but I am enjoying it more, which means I’m more likely to stick with it this time.

I’ve always felt that that zen-like state you feel when you dance a piece well and in time was unattainable, that it was never more than a fleeting joy, like a great day on the golf course.

But maybe I have it wrong. Maybe the zen-like state is just that, a state of mind rather than a momentary feeling that you’ve bridged the gap between dance and soul.

Can you be satisfied with just being at class, just enjoying it, unburdened by the weight of expectation that we tend to put on ourselves?  Or do we have to have a goal to work towards, and should we embrace the uncomfortable feeling of under-achieving because it’s the world’s way of telling us to do better?

Surely, if you’re having fun at an activity, and you’re self-aware enough to know that you’re not embarrassing yourself totally, then you should improve, and rapidly enough that it makes it worth it not to stress too much.

Besides, if I’m enjoying myself, I’m more likely to practice at home.  And at the club.  And in the car.  And in the shower.

No comments: